One of the great things about being a letting agent in Hitchin is that we get to spend a lot of time out and about in the local area. This means we have plenty of opportunities to sample Hitchin’s local eateries. Yes, it’s a hard job, but someone has to do it!
If you’re considering renting in Hitchin or Herts, exploring what the area offers in terms of eating out is probably high on your priority list. Sharing food experiences with family and friends is a big part of feeling at home in a new community, and our extensive research tells us that Hitchin has something for everyone.
Hitchin’s thriving food scene is grounded in access to incredible fresh produce, innovative chefs, and a community keen to support local businesses. So whether you’re looking for a light bite and a great coffee, a long, lazy Sunday lunch, or a fine dining experience… you’re almost guaranteed to find a delicious treat not too far from your doorstep.
With plenty of independent shops and a large market open every Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday strolling through Hitchin town is a pleasant way to while away the day. If you happen to get peckish, there’s no shortage of options for a quick pit stop.
- Chia Naturally Healthy – For a healthy treat, head to this award-winning café for a range of vegan, gluten-free, and organic dishes. From smoothie bowls and colourful salads to all-day brunch options and sweet desserts – everything is beautifully presented and can be enjoyed in the café’s relaxed, friendly setting.
- Halsey’s Deli – Halsey’s has been supplying deli produce to the good folk of Hitchin since 1854. The exceptional cheese counter comes with various carefully selected pickles and chutneys. The adjoining Eatery offers a good selection of sweet treats and fantastic coffee and tea. If you fancy recreating a great brew at home, pick up coffee beans or loose-leaf tea to take away.
- The Groundworks – This modern café is known for its eclectic food selection (think homemade cakes and brilliant brunch options), washed down with delicious coffee roasted by Allpress Espresso. A popular spot with freelancers (free Wi-Fi), students and locals alike.
- Chicken George – Chicken George is famous locally for bringing flavoursome fried chicken to the Luton area in the 1970s. With a branch now open in Hitchin, this fast-food brand is taking mighty leaps forward under the leadership of Chicken George’s son, including notching up a Best Takeaway in Britain Not bad, eh?
- Quotidian Bakery – Be sure to pop in and sample the award-winning French, Italian and flavoured breads baked daily at this family-run artisan bakery. You’ll also discover their tempting and fabulously presented range of cakes, croissants, sweet treats and filled sandwiches.
- Hitchin Street Food Monthly – From May-October, this popular foodie event brings Hitchin Market Place to life with a tantalising combination of street food, booze, and beats. A different line up every time means you’ll never run out of new flavours to sample!
If you’re in the market for a Sunday roast or a great evening out – Hitchin comes up with the goods again, and there’s plenty of choice covering all occasions, budgets and tastes.
- Cawsburger – After spending years in London researching what makes a burger great, the Cawsburger team decided it was finally time to bring great burgers to Hitchin. Their new super-chilled restaurant opened in 2022, and the Cawsburger is fast becoming a local legend. You’ll have to try it to understand why.
- Los Reyes – This award-winning tapas restaurant is perfect for a long lunch or a relaxing evening in cosy, romantic surroundings. Our favourite dishes include chorizo in red wine, patatas bravas and the delicious Los Reyes garlic prawns. But, with over 30 small plates to mix and match, encompassing the best Spanish seafood, cheeses and meets – we’re sure you’ll discover your own.
- Hermitage Road Bar & Restaurant – If you’re looking for fabulous modern British food in a stylish, spacious setting, look no further than Hermitage Road. This fine dining restaurant is housed in a restored Victorian Ballroom and includes a sophisticated Oyster Bar. The menu spans brunch, lunch, evening meals and Sunday lunch. In addition, a new Coffee and Bagel Bar has recently expanded their offering. Oh, and they do great cocktails too!
- The Victoria – Fondly known as The Vic and a favourite amongst Hitchin locals, this cosy traditional pub is a popular spot for Sunday lunches. The pub also hosts guest catering from the Dirty Dough Pizza Co and the Bun Lovin’ Criminals. Beer connoisseurs will enjoy the great beer and ales on tap.
Venturing a little further afield…
Almost ‘on the doorstep’ in the pretty villages surrounding Hitchin, you can discover even more foodie adventures. For example, in nearby Willian, you’ll find The Fox – a beautiful country pub, which the Michelin Guide describes as a ‘pleasingly unpretentious place’ serving ‘neatly presented, adventurous dishes and bold flavours’.
Alternatively, you could head to Hitchin’s closest village, Ickleford, for a pleasant lunch or dinner at The Old George. This quaint village pub provides fresh, seasonal menus and boasts one of the top Trip Advisor ratings (4.5 stars) for the local area.
If you’re considering renting in Hitchin or investing in a buy-to-let in Hitchin – the best way to explore what’s on offer is to come and visit. We’ll happily meet you in one of Hitchin’s great cafés for a coffee and a chat about what the area offers (beyond its great selection of tasty food!).
M A S O N S is a leading letting agent in Hitchin, covering rental and buy-to-let properties in Hertfordshire. Founded on award-winning lettings experience, we specialise in property management in Hitchin and residential lettings – drop us a line at 01462 557 477 or [email protected]